Curator-In-Residence at Trestle Projects
Deadline extended to August 12, 2016, 11:59pm
$25 application fee
Trestle is accepting applications for a Curator-in-Residence (CIR) during the Fall 2016 – Fall 2017 exhibition season. The CIR program aims to facilitate events and exhibitions that activate the local community while encouraging artists and curators to challenge themselves and viewers.
The CIR will utilize Trestle Projects at 400 3rd Avenue. Supported by Brooklyn Art Space and Trestle Gallery the CIR program offers an opportunity for curators and artists-as-curators to develop and expand the scope of their practice through a 10-month residency. Curators will work with contemporary artists to create a series of exhibitions in Trestle Projects’ 350 square foot space. Throughout their time (Fall 2016 – Fall 2017) the CIR will organize 3-5 exhibitions.
The CIR will have 24/7 access to the exhibition space, a small office, a communal kitchen, Wi-Fi and air conditioning. The CIR will also receive administrative support, including promotional assistance for events and exhibitions. (Note: this opportunity does not include housing).
Trestle’s primary aim is to foster creativity by expanding opportunities and providing exposure for contemporary artists and curators.
Expectations of the CIR:
– Solicit and select artists for 4-6 exhibitions
– Oversee the planning, budgeting and installation for each exhibition
– Administer contracts, schedules and budgets in collaboration with Brooklyn Art Space and Trestle staff
– Attend opening receptions
– Work within Trestle’s mission while bringing a unique curatorial vision to the program
– Convey key messages about artists’ work and CIR exhibitions to Trestle staff for media materials
– Maintain scheduled office/gallery hours (schedule is very flexible)
– This opportunity is best suited toward those with experience organizing and installing visual art exhibitions
– Awareness of contemporary arts issues, practices and artists
– Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
– Ability to organize and communicate messages effectively through writing and public presentation
– Ability to manage exhibition budgets
– Ability to meet deadlines
For submission requirements and access to our application, please visit: www.trestlegallery.org/c-i-r/