Call for Artists: NYU Langone Medical Center
The NYU Langone Medical Center is seeking to purchase original artwork for key public locations at multiple medical center locations. This Call is open to all artists working and/or residing in the Tri-State area (NY, NJ and CT).
NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class patient-centered integrated academic medical center, is one of the nation’s premier centers for excellence in healthcare, biomedical research, and medical education. Consistent with this mission, the NYU Langone Medical Center Art Collection is acquiring artwork of the highest quality that will be integrated into the daily life of the medical center, providing a life-affirming, healing and supportive environment for patients, families, caregivers, students, faculty and staff.
The Art Acquisition program strives to:
• Collect original artwork of high-quality in design and concept;
• Showcase the wide range of excellent artwork created by Tri-State area artists with diversity in theme, medium,
• Appeal to a wide audience: children to adults;
• Reflect and support the Medical Center’s mission as a world-class patient centered integrated academic medical center.
CRITERIA FOR ARTWORK
• 2-dimensional and low-relief original artwork of significant artistic merit created within the last four years.
• Artwork should be suitable and have a broad appeal for long-term use in a healthcare environment. Positive,
reality based landscapes and cityscapes, figuration and still life artwork. Serene abstract or non-objective work will
also be considered.
• All artwork will be displayed on walls.
• Medical Center environment requires that all 2-dimensional artwork be framed under Plexi-glass.
• 2-dimensional (unframed) and low-relief artwork including, but not limited to, paintings, drawings, collages,
textiles, quilts, fibers/textiles, photography, new media and mixed-media.
• Low-relief artwork, that does not protrude more than two inches from the wall, will also be considered (ceramic,
metal, glass, and other materials.)
• Photography and fine art prints (including but not limited to digital prints, etchings, lithographs, woodblock etc.)
are eligible but must be signed and numbered and in a limited edition of 200 or less.
• Dimensions: 2-dimensional works up to a maximum of 36“ H x 36” W unframed; low-relief works: up to a
maximum of 50” H x 50” W x 2” D and a maximum weight of 30 pounds.
• Artwork must be professionally created using archival media, frame-able and must not require extraordinary
handling. Artwork must be able to be easily moved and re-installed as necessary.
Artists must submit the information as identified below via email:
• A maximum of ten (10) works/artist.
• Images must be saved as JPEGS, text as Microsoft Word documents. Do not send images as Acrobat (pdf) files. If submitting a VERTICAL image, set image resolution to 72 pixels/inch with image HEIGHT set to 9 inches; if submitting a HORIZONTAL image. Set image resolution to 72 pixels/inch with image WIDTH set to 11 inches. File names must correspond to annotated image list (see below).
• DO NOT SEND PDF’S or files that are embedded in any applications that must be run to view the jpegs. Do not send files that end in .exe.
• An annotated image list sent either in the body of email submission, or attached as a Microsoft Word document.
Clearly identify the following: Title of Artwork, Media/Dimensions, Date of Work, brief description of work if necessary, and retail value of work.
• Artist’s statement and resume. Please include your full contact information: name, address, phone, email and website address.
• Incomplete submissions will not be accepted.
ALL SUBMISSIONS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED TO: Art@nyumc.org